a legal guide

to the registration and use of a mailbox

We have been in business since 2001 and have many hundreds of customers,  of all nationalities,  living or working in 22 countries  ( at the last count! )   The one thing they all have in common is that they rely on us to manage their mail discreetly and professionally.

In order to meet our obligations to them we always operate within the law,  including the new data protection standards  ( GDPR ),  and all HMRC Anti-Money Laundering Regulations.

Gavel, illustrating legal issues

the account holder

their role, and legal responsibilities

In order to simplify the required identity verification process,  every mailbox account,  whether private or businessmust be registered by a named individual as the Account Holder.   On agreeing to be bound by our Terms and Conditions,  the Account Holder accepts sole responsibility for the legal,  moral and ethical use and conduct of a mailbox account and compliance with all current legislation.

Coffee at home, not at your mailbox address!

claiming residency

it is your address... not your home

There is one golden rule,  you must never claim your mailbox address to be your physical residence.

Every local council in the UK keeps a list of residents in their area  ( the Electoral Register or Electoral Roll )  and many organisations,  financial institutions in particular,  will check this Register as part of their due diligence on a new customer.

Following widespread suspicion of electoral fraud during the Brexit referendum,  MUCH more importance is being placed on the validity of these databases and simply adding yourself to an Electoral Roll on-line will almost certainly result in a personal visit from local council officials to validate your claim of residency.

banks & credit cards

If you already have a UK bank account, you need simply change your mailing or correspondence address.   Most banks and card issuers offer such a facility in their website and will accept your new address without question.   For new accounts;  by all means tell the bank that you do not have a fixed UK residence  ( perhaps because you are abroad,  or constantly travelling? ),  but do have a permanent mailing address.   They can then use other means to check your identity and credit worthiness.

the dvla

It is perfectly legal and acceptable to use your mailbox address to register your driving licence and vehicle log book  ( V5C ).   It is,  after all,  your address,  and will be used by the DVLA to send your vehicle tax reminder letter  ( V11 )  and any vehicle tax refunds,  knowing with confidence that their mail will reach you.

For driving licence and V5C registration,  the nice people at the DVLA have asked that you please use your address in the form:
15a Market Street,  Telford   TF2 6EL

Because the process can be confusing,  it may help to read this guide;  changing your address with the DVLA

motor insurance

This is a more complex issue,  with a potential to cause wider legal problems if you misrepresent your address.

Whilst you can use your mailbox for all correspondence with your insurance provider or brokers,  when you complete a proposal you will be asked a very specific question along the lines of;  'Where is the vehicle normally kept?'.   Because every postcode in the country carries an associated risk based upon local crime and accident statistics,  insurance companies use your declared location as a major factor in their calculation of your premium.   If you falsely claim that the vehicle is 'kept' at the Mail Centre address,  you may invalidate your policy and find yourself driving uninsured!

Above all else, be honest.

Goods and substances banned in the post

restricted goods

what can, and can't, be posted

Certain types of goods are either prohibited in the post,  or have legal restrictions placed upon their carriage.   Because we can't forward items that we believe may contain prohibited goods,  please take a few moments to visit the Royal Mail website for a complete list.   Similar restrictions also apply to most private courier firms.


Dangerous goods are articles or substances that could pose a risk to health, property or the environment and include;

Explosives  :  Flammable liquids or gas  :  Controlled drugs or narcotics  :  Clinical & medical waste  :  Human or animal remains  :  Infectious substances & pathogens  :  Corrosives :  Live animals  :  Poisons & toxic chemicals  :  Firearms,  knives or tasers,  even strong magnets and matches!


Restricted items are goods that can be sent in the post,  but are subject to packaging,  volume,  quantity,  labelling or other restrictions.   These include alcoholic beverages and lithium batteries.

specialist carriers

There are a number of specialist carriers we can source who will ship goods such as bottled wine,  fireworks,  or items over 2m in length;  all otherwise banned by mainline couriers.